Creating Safe Scenes is a free, Commission on Accreditation for Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE)-accredited, online training course that helps first responders—police, fire, and emergency medical services—work with individuals experiencing a mental health and/or substance use crisis.
This course is designed to help first responders understand more about mental health, mental illness, and substance use disorders so they can better assess risks and apply the safest strategies for taking care of themselves and the individuals they are called to serve.
Creating Safe Scenes—which includes first-hand video accounts from responders and mental health consumers, quizzes, resources, and a final exam—will help first responders:
- Understand how individuals come to experience a behavioral health crisis
- Understand how best to make a safe connection with an individual experiencing a crisis
- Learn about de-escalation strategies for working with people in crisis
- Learn strategies for developing community networks and referral resources
- Understand how to improve the safety of both the responder and the individual in crisis
For additional trainings, including those specifically designed for first responders, visit the Online DTAC Training Courses web page.
- Target Audience: Everyone
- Virtual: Yes
- In Person: No
- Fees: Free
- CEU or Certificate: Certificate - With a Guest Account, a certificate is available after training has been completed. The training must be completed in one session in order to obtain the certificate. CEU-To receive continuing education units (CEUs) from CAPCE, contact the SAMHSA Disaster Technical Assistance Center (DTAC) at email@example.com or 800–308–3515 for an account prior to completing this course. You will need to provide your name, address, email address, and National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) or professional license number, expiration date, and state in which your license is valid. You will receive a confirmation email with your login information and a link to the course once you are registered.
- Language: English
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org